Aal around Aalborg: Black Friday, music and dancing, art, Christmas Tree Fest, solo violin concert with Romanian soup, and CHRISTMAS MARKETS
It’s been a long, tiring week, but here are a few tidbits for this weekend, which seem to focus very much on the theme of Christmas. The competition between Christmas markets definitely intensifies, so you won’t be at a loss if visiting these hyggelige affairs is on your ‘to do’ list. Enjoy shopping!
Friday, 25 November
Tomorrow Black Friday hits Aalborg, a day when shops are open and beckon those who wish to whittle down their gift lists and get some good deals while they’re at it. From 10:00 to 22:00 most shops in the city center will welcome shoppers, offering discounts and gimmicks to attract them. Friis will be open from 9:00 to 23:00, and in City Syd Aalborg Storcenter will be open from 8:00 to 22:00. Just to clarify what this madness is about: in the US Black Friday is always the day after Thanksgiving, which is the fourth Thursday of November each year. It is not called ‘Black Friday’ to remind one of the plague or evil or…rather, its origin dates back to 1966 when in Philadelphia an article appeared in The American Philatelist that highlighted the masses of pedestrians and heavy traffic that resulted from eager Christmas shoppers the day after Turkey Day (as Thanksgiving is fondly called by many). However, most people believe the name stems from the idea that stores whose revenues hang in the balance from January to November hope to go ‘into the black’ or tip from operating at a loss to making a profit based on their sales that day. In any case, there are, indeed, many deals to be had in Danish stores tomorrow. So if you don’t mind braving the crowds and the lines, then go ahead – have a blast! Check the magazine of advertisements here.
Yay Friday! event at Platform 4 from 15:00 to 22:00. Come celebrate the weekend with us every Friday afternoon with music (soothing sounds from DJ Devious), a bar (Cuba Libre: 25 DKK), and free admission. Plus great company. What more could you want at the end of a long week? More info here.
If after your shopping spree you feel the need to let off some steam by dancing, then head to Club Vesterå. Perhaps the biggest brand in nu-disco genre, NDYD (Nu Disco Your Disco) will be there with some of their artists, bringing delicious, warm vibes at a time when we most need it! Lineup includes Krist Santiago, LIEBE, and Kornum & Karma. Free entry. Cocktail happy hour from 22:00 to 1:00 (whole night for students with ID). From 22:00 to 5:00 the next morning. More info here.
Saturday, 26 November
Christmas Tree Fest at Nordkraft Saturday from 10:00 to 12:00. Playland in DGI–Huset with trampolines, climbing wall, and Parkour track from 10:00. Santa Claus arrives at 10:30 to dance around the Christmas tree with all the participants. At 11:30 candy bags from Rema 1000 will be handed out to all children. Entry: 75kr/person. Buy tickets here or at Nordkraft’s DGI-Huset reception desk.
Opening of exhibit by artists Charlotte Trampedach (figurative and abstract painting) and Jens Ingvar Hansen (sculpture in granite and bronze) from 12:00 to 14:00 at Jarsbo Art, Adelgade 2, 9000 Aalborg. Exhibition period 26 November to 12 December 2016. The artists will be present at the opening. More about the gallery here.
If your Danish is good – or you are feeling particularly courageous and just want to practice – then show up to help Danish People’s Aid collect money for families in need this Christmas. Volunteers will meet at 11:00 in front of the Danish People’s Aid meeting room, under the Limfjord Bridge – Strandvejen 10. You will be occupied for 1-2 hours. Membership in the Danish People’s Aid is not a prerequisite for helping out. As a collector you will be expected to:
– have a positive attitude towards Christmas aid
– smile and be polite
– like wearing hat
– be reliable and stable.
More info here.
Come and enjoy the B.A.D.-G.O.O.D concert nr. 4: “BALLADE” with Alex Dyzubinsky, violin, Romanian meatball soup, and American Amber Ale by Bryghus Vendia at 18:00 at Kjellerups Torv 2 in the Center for Dansk Jazzhistorie. Alex Dyzubinsky, violin, will play Eugene Ysaye’s Sonata No. 3 in D minor, Op. 27. ‘Ballade’; Bach’s Chaconne from the Violin Partita No.2 in D minor, BWV 1004 and Mozart’s String Duo No. 1 in G major for violin and viola, K. 423. During the concert Monique and Tore will be cooking a Romanian meatball soup (ciorba de perisoare) for the audience. And we will also serve a fabulous American Amber Ale by Bryghus Vendia! Free entry. See event poster here.
Latin Julefrokost from 19:00 to 2:00 Saturday night at House of Dance, Vesterbro 21D. Price 200kr with buffet dinner (looks delicious) or 50kr just for the dancing, which starts at 22:00. Find the menu and payment details here (in English).
- Vestbjerg – Mejlstedvej 19 (Ungdomsklubben) 10:00 to 16:00. Handcrafted items, marmalades, nisser, antiques, etc. Info here.
- ‘Gammel Jul’ at Sæbygård Slot – the photo on Facebook makes this place look a bit like a haunted house but 506 people claim they are going to the two day (also Sunday) Christmas event so that must be misleading. 10:00 to 16:00 both days. Entry 50kr/person (children free). More info here.
- The sweet smell of spruce and Christmas cakes will greet visitors to Aalborg Kloster (Monastery) at C.W. Obel’s Square in Aalborg during the 11. Sct. Georg Gilde’s annual Christmas market Saturday, 26 November from 10:00 to 15:30. Small stalls will be selling everything from homemade jam to wreaths, poinsettias, decorations and nisse (Christmas trolls) of all kinds. At 14:00 there will be a Lucia procession by the Sct. Mariæ Skole choir, and guided tours of the monastery will be led at 11:00, 12.30, and 14:45. Within the white limestone vaults the old monastery will sparkle with Christmas cheer. All goods were made by hand by 40 Guild volunteers. Here is the official poster of the event on the Gilde’s website.
- Kulturcentret Fjordbyen will hold a Christmas market from 10:00 to 15:00. Christmas decorations will be on offer, as well as yummy Christmas treats and other items. Santa Claus will also be on site and ready to hear children’s Christmas wishes. A guided tour of Fjordbyen will be given at 11:30, and at 13:00 Aalborg Circus Club will perform. Here is the event poster.
- Handicraft/Christmas market in Vodskov (AULAEN, Begoniavej, 9310 Vodskov). Lots of things to buy, including the requisite æbleskiver. 10:00 to 16:00.
- Aalborg Produktionsskole will hold a big – but cozy – Christmas market on from 10:00 to 15:30. All are welcome. Come and buy Christmas gifts and decorations, and enjoy æbleskiver, mulled wine, homemade cakes and confections. Santa Claus will be there for photo opps, as will his sleigh (which was featured in the film Emma og Juldemanden). The school is located at Sohngårdsholmsvej 51. B, 9000 Aalborg. FB page here.