The main attraction this coming weekend (and through next week) is the Aalborg Sustainability Festival (Bæredygtighedsfestival), which is made up of many events throughout the city and runs until (and including) 17 September. Aalborg Kommune has a whole website set up with details about it, which you can find here. I am not exaggerating when I say that it is really impressive how much is being offered during the week to heighten people’s awareness of the importance of recycling, reusing, and reorganising our lives to help the Earth. The list of events/participants on the festival program webpage is LONG and it is only in Danish; however, I encourage you to use Google Translate to find the gems that interest you. One tip: show up at Gabels Torv, Gammeltorv or Toldbold Plads between 10:00 and 16:00 Saturday and you are sure to find lots to learn and keep you busy. And then sample the other events throughout the week!
Saturday, 10 September 2016
The Greek islands are once again witnessing an increase in refugees arriving from Turkey. Aalborgense Anna Klitgaard has worked with Venligboerne / Friendly Humans Samos several times and has the deepest respect for the work they do on Samos. WORLD, an international networking group for women in Aalborg that Anna founded, previously collected money for the organisation by holding bake sales, but this time Anna invites you to join her on the 10th September for Charity Yoga, so she can collect money for the organisation before she goes there to volunteer again. The money will be spent on families and unaccompanied minors stuck on the island of Samos in the holding facility whilst waiting for their asylum application to go through the system. Anna leaves for Samos on Tuesday for two weeks, where she will volunteer and write about the situation at present. Thereafter she will travel up through Europe, visiting Syrian families in Slovenia and Germany that she had previously met on Samos. The yoga event takes place at Aalborg Main Library, Mødelokale 4 from 10:00 to 11:30. Please support their work by spending 1,5 hours doing some yoga, essentially helping yourself whilst helping others. All donations are received with a BIG THANK YOU. Bring your yoga mat! See more here.
FOCUS Fitness opens its doors on Thistedvej 58, Nørresundby and Fyrkildevej 7 in Aalborg East from 10:00 to 16:00. Come and see our center and have a chat with the instructors! Try different classes for free and see what interest you. Gifts to those who register on the day. Read more here for the class schedule Saturday.
Here are only a handful of the many events taking place as part of the Sustainability Festival:
- Try some organic Indian food at Gammeltorv Saturday from 10:00 to 16:00, sponsored by Indian Home Chefs. Find out more here.
- Participate in the sustainable treasure hunt for children, and join in a competition to win 2 free tickets to Djurs Summerland. From 12:00 to 14:00 the AaB mascot Theodor will be in front of Føtex on Slotsgade conducting the hunt. All participating children will be awarded treasure notes and Green Agent badges. When the treasure hunt is completed, the notes handed in at the Festivalbutikken at Boulevarden 8 by16:00 will be eligible for the drawing. The lucky winner will be picked at 17:00 and contacted directly.
- Cargo bike competition for all on the waterfront in Aalborg from 10:00 to 16:00. A fun challenge that tests time and ingenuity – try your hand at being a cargo bike driver! No registration is required in advance – you simply turn up on the day. 1st prize: 1 new bike from Vestbyens Bicycle Trade, Aalborg (value 5,000.00 kr). 2nd and 3rd prize: gifts from Helsam, Mrs. Ronne, Søgårds Brewery, La Casa Latina, Penny Lane and Post Denmark. Prizes awarded late afternoon.
- At Toldbodens Plads from 10:00 to 16:00 you can come and find out about the many kinds of sustainable cars on the market. Hear what’s happening in the area of hybrid, hydrogen and electric cars! See, among others, Tesla, Toyota and Renault and models. If you are lucky, you will get to test drive one of the cool cars !! 🙂
- 3×3 debate on social sustainability at Aalborg Main Library (Glashjørnet) from 12:00 to 14:30. The event involves 3 topics, 3 sharp presentations, and 3 short debates. 3×3 gives you space to discuss and to learn, and this time it is on social sustainability in Aalborg. Three professionals from De Frivilliges Hus, Business Aalborg and UCN will talk about what social sustainability means for them when working with the disadvantaged, students, and businesses in Aalborg. Each mini-presentation concludes with a question that forms the basis for debate. Then the next speaker begins. The 3 topics in this 3×3 are “volunteering”, “social entrepreneurship” and “corporate social responsibility”. You do not need prior knowledge of the subjects to participate.
12:00: Welcome and brief intro
12:05: De Frivilliges Hus on Aalborgenses’ volunteerism
12:20: First discussion and questions round
12:50: UCN on social entrepreneurship for students
13:05: Second discussion and questions round
13:35: Business Aalborg on corporate social responsibility
13:50 Third discussion and questions round
14:20 Sum up
There will be coffee and water.
- Swap Market (Byttemarked) at Gabels Torv in central Aalborg from 10:00 to 16:00. Come and volunteer! You can exchange your old stuff (clothes, shoes, furniture, toys – everything!) with other people’s stuff. Everyone brings something – everyone gets something to take home. IT’S FREE and you can look forward to exchanging stuff, eating vegan cake, music, textile prints, fun, and a sustainable day! See the initiative’s FB page here.
- Social sustainability event at Nytorv, sponsored and run by Elsk Aalborg from 10:00 to 14:00. Come and give or receive a compliment, write a nice message to someone, or try your luck on the ‘Values Wheel-of-Fortune.’ See the FB page for more info
Would you like to try the social dance form of Lindy Hop? Then come to Kulturbroen Nørresundby on Saturday from 12:00 to 14:00. You’ll be shown the moves and get a chance to practice. Good exercise, and fun, too! Free of charge. Find out more here.
Sunday, 11 September
Come to Huset Galleri from 12:00 to 14:00 for the opening of a new art exhibition. The artist Grethe Marian Maurseth is from Norway but has lived and worked for many years in Aalborg. Grethe graduated from Aarhus Academy of Fine Arts in 2006 and debuted her work in the artists’ summer exhibition in 2005. She is a member of Billedkunstnernes for bund, Kvindeligt Kunstnersamfiund and Prokk in Aarhus, and Hjorring graphic workshop, and has participated in several juried exhibitions. She exhibits around the province and in Norway. Her pictorial universe centers on living identities, where colors, buildings, things, and nature are highlighted by the strongest “vital ingredient” and the paintings appear with humor, seriousness and a touch of David Lynch’s cinematic atmosphere. This exhibition is called “Identity” and will be on display from Sunday, 11 September to Wednesday, 12 October. Find out more here.
Cycle tour of Aalborg and Nørresundby on Sunday, 11 September starting at 12:00 and finishing at 17:00. A 35-40 km ride of selected parts of the city area. The pace will be moderate and there will be a number of narrative stops where Mike will give riders the lowdown on the city and chosen sights. Please make sure that your bike is in good shape, and don’t forget to bring water and some snacks (banana, muesli bar etc.). Meeting point: central Fotex square, departure 12:15. More info here.
Monday, 12 September
And now for something very close to my heart (and stomach): good food! VACA, a restaurant started by the owners of Karma Sushi, will open its doors on Rebebansgade in Vestbyen next Monday and offer free tacos from 16:00 to 17:00 each day through Sunday, 18 September. Limit: two per person. The photos they have posted to FB make it look like a slightly upscale taco shop – if it were possible, I’d be there when they open the first day. We have long needed tacos in Aalborg – I just hope they’re as tasty as they look! Check out the page here and their menu (in Arhus, anyway) here.
Alternatively, can we save the world by eating insects? Insektmad (eating insects) is a hot topic of conversation, especially after the UN recommended insects as a resource in the fight against world hunger. A team of chefs and researchers from the Nordic Food Lab has traveled the world to learn about the 2 billion people who already eat insects. See the result in the new documentary BUGS – and taste insects, if you dare! Aalborg Young Environmental Ambassadors will serve insect popcorn. Takes place from 16:30 at Biffen Nordkraft. Price 70 kr.
Join a workshop from 12:00 to 15:00 at which students from Aalborg Technical College will produce models for proposals for the design of “alternative homes” in containers. The models developed in containers on harbor, where one of the containers is on display. The workshop ends with an exhibition of proposals on Wednesday, 14 September at 13:00. The exhibition consists of posters and 1: 5 scale models of the specific proposals. The exhibition is open for visitors Wed-Fri 08:00 to 18:00 and Saturday 09:00 to 14:00. Location: Waterfront in front of Aalborg Castle
Tuesday, 13 September
Are you one of those people who has too many leftovers in the fridge that just end up being thrown out? Then come and get inspiration at Platform 4 from 16:00 to 17:30 on how to make delicious dishes out of leftovers when kitchen manager Filip Siig from Kaffé Fair comes to visit. Using leftovers delivered on the day by North Jutland Food Surplus, he will create a meal and everyone will get recipes to take home with them. The event is a collaboration between GRO SELV and Kaffé Fair as part of Aalborg Sustainability Festival. Entry is free. GRO SELV is an open, young community that encourages enthusiastic young green life hacks. Kaffé Fair is a social economic project that works to promote employment and youth opportunity for education. Learn about your options in Kaffé Fair here. More info on the event here.
Wednesday, 14 September
These days food consumption is one of the main contributors to greenhouse gas emissions, including dietary habits, the supply chain, and disposal of food by retailers and consumers. We will address these issues in a presentation and workshop entitled “Sustainable food consumption and urban farming”. The event will be held in English from 16:00 to 19:00 at International House North Denmark to engage the international citizens of the city within the framework of the Aalborg Sustainability Festival (Aalborg Bæredygtighedsfestival). The event is also a starting point in involving internationals in the different sustainable projects of the Green Agents (Grønne Agenter) in the city. See this page for further details.
‘Tomorrow’ is somewhat unusual as a new documentary on climate change in that it inspires hope. With climate change and global warming now threatening more than ever to wipe out the planet, this award-winning documentary shows that if we do something now we could turn the situation around before it’s too late. The film takes us around the world and shows what is being done to stop global warming. Environment and Energy Alderman Lasse Olsen will make a presentation before the film. From 16:00 at Biffen Nordkraft. Price 70 kr.
Take advantage of weeds – nature’s own ‘gunpowder’ – in your cooking instead of fighting them. Much of that which grows in the wild or in your garden can either replace certain vegetables, spice up a salad or dress up a dessert. They cost nothing and are bursting with good nutrients to promote your health. Learn which plants and plant parts can be used in food and tea. You can also get some easy recipes that can inspire you to use this ‘gunpowder.’ 19:00 to 21:00; organizer: FOKUS General Education; location: Dannebrogsgade 43, 9000 Aalborg; registration available here.
Come to a communal dinner where the concept and examples of “sustainable daycare” that are currently reflected in the institutions in the mid-west section of Aalborg will be presented. Bring a dish to contribute to the buffet as well as plates and cutlery, a blanket, etc. for your family. There is room for a maximum of 100 participants. 17:00 to 19:00; organizer:Dagtilbud Midt-Vestbyen; location: Pavilion at Karolinelund; registration before September 14 here.