Recent and upcoming in Aalborg: children’s theater, craft fair, vocal concert, half-marathon, art auction
There seems to be a lot going on this weekend in Aalborg. Two events in Aalborg Øst, a play at the main library, a concert at Utzon Center (as the Aalborg Opera Festival winds down), and an art auction (next weekend, actually, but pieces of art will be on display prior). I missed last week because I was out of town AND I got sick (I do not recommend doing both of these at the same time!) but hope I’ve made up for it with the following listings. As always, a big thanks to Midt-Vest Avis, from which most of these are pulled!
- For parents of children who understand and speak Danish, there is a great opportunity for your kids to see a play in the main Aalborg Library Saturday, 22 March from 12:00 to 12:45. Called “Al tid i verden” (‘All the time in the world’), the play will be an image-strong multi-media puppet performance about getting the very best out of every moment. Entry is free but tickets are required. You can order your tickets here. As of press time, there were only 10 left. Suitable for children four years and older.
- On Saturday, 22 March the spring Creative Inspiration Fair will be held at Trekanten Library and Culture Center in Aalborg Øst. Members of the public are invited to browse the stalls of local artists and artisans, who will be selling their creations, as well as try their hand at a variety of crafts. If you’re a fishing enthusiast, come and try to tie your own fly…or if cloth ornaments are more your style, come and make your own. Hobby photographers will also be on hand to take your portrait and send it to you. Doors are open from 10:00 to 15:00 and entrance is free.
- In arrangement with Aalborg Opera Festival, Utzon Center will host a concert by soprano Marianne Heuer and tenor Morten Krogh Mortensen on Sunday, 23 March at 14:00. The singers will perform pieces by Danish and Norwegian romance composers Grieg, Heise, Gade, Hartmann and Nielsen. Tickets are 100 kr. (60 for students and seniors). More information available here.
- Are you a runner looking for a challenge this weekend? If so, the annual New Balance Half-marathon on Sunday, 23 March might be the perfect chance to get your first race of the season under your belt. As this is the race’s 10-year anniversary, there will be an added incentive to get your running shoes on and join in: all race participants who wear New Balance sneakers/trainers will be eligible to win one of two 5,000 kr gift certificates for New Balance products. Along the route there will also be festive activities, such as a pit stop in front of the Trekanten Library and Cultural Center for a hot drink and brass band “Gråbrødrene”, who will provide some musical motivation to keep going. Organizers from the Aalborg East Road Runners Club are looking forward to many participants in this year’s race, and have set the limit at 1000 runners. The entry fee is 200 kr. and you can sign up either online ahead of time (http://aalborg-roadrunners.dk/loeb/halvmarathon) or on the day from 11:00 to 12:45, as long as there are spaces available. The race will begin at Tornhøj Hall in Aalborg East, and as of press time more than 500 participants had registered.
- Danish art enthusiasts looking for new pieces are invited to an auction at Nordkraft Saturday, 29 March at 12:30 in Kedelhallen. Artwork by artists from across the country will be on display prior to the auction, Thursday and Friday, 27 and 28 March. Proceeds from the auction will go to Den Sociale Skadestue.